@ Your Library
by Beverly Ewart
May always reminds me of the musical, Camelot, and Julie Andrews singing “The Lusty Month of May.”
Tra la, it's May, the lusty Month of May
That lovely month when everyone goes blissfully astray
Tra la, it's here, that shocking time of year
When tons of wicked little thoughts merrily appear
Of course, as a kid, I had no idea what these lyrics were about. Having just re-read them, I think I will refrain from quoting the whole song. Pun intended. You are welcome.
I don’t want to lead you astray, but may I interest you in some Arthurian legend?
- The Once and Future King by T. H. White.
- The Adventures of Merlin [DVD]: The Complete Series. A retelling of the fabled Arthurian legend. The mythical city of Camelot is a fantastical realm of legendary beasts and mysterious peoples. In this dangerous world, magic has been banned by the ruthless tyrant, Uther Pendragon. When Merlin, a young man gifted with extraordinary magical powers, arrives in the kingdom, he quickly makes enemies, including Prince Arthur, the headstrong heir to Uther's crown. Guided by Uther's wise physician, Gaius, Merlin learns to use his powers, not only to survive, but also to unlock Camelot's mystical secrets. Along the way, Merlin encounters dangerous foes, murderous monsters, and powerful sorcerers and discovers that his destiny and that of the kingdom's young leader in waiting, Arthur, are inextricably linked.
- Sword of the Rightful King: A Novel of King Arthur by Jane Yolen. Merlinnus the magician devises a way for King Arthur to prove himself the rightful king of England--pulling a sword from a stone--but trouble arises when someone else removes the sword first.
- Here Lies Arthur by Philip Reeve. When her village is attacked and burned, Gwyna seeks protection from the bard Myrddin, who uses Gwyna in his plan to transform young Arthur into the heroic King Arthur.
- Kingdom of Summer by Gillian Bradshaw. A farmer's son becomes Gwalchmai's servant and travels through Britain with this knight of the Round Table, son of the treacherous Morgawse, searching for Princess Elidan.
- Hawk of May by Gillian Bradshaw.
- In Winter's Shadow by Gillian Bradshaw. Sequel to: Hawk of May and Kingdom of summer.
Don’t forget CFL’s BUDGET VOTE NEXT Tuesday, May 21, 2019. Voting will take place in the Canton High School Library from noon until 9pm.
TODAY: The Bus Stops Here: Transportation Options in St. Lawrence County - Presented by Frank Doldo, St. Lawrence County Mobility Manager.
Join Frank Doldo at the Canton Free Library for a discussion of transportation options available in St. Lawrence County and how to access them.
May 14, 2019 at 2:00 pm. The event is free and will be held in the Paige Room of the Canton Free Library.
Painting with Wilson Bickford: Wednesday, May 29, 5:30-9:00pm. $50 fee includes ALL supplies. May’s painting will be Wilson Bickford will guide participants of all skill levels through the creation of a beautiful landscape oil painting. Participants in the May class at the Canton Free Library will be painting "Storm Alert".
REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED. A $50 supply fee, payable upon arrival, covers the cost of all supplies; just bring your creative self!
To register please call Wilson: 315-287-4514
Baby Storytime is for kids from birth-18 months and their caregivers, no registration needed. Tuesday mornings from 10:00-10:45am. We feature books, bounce rhymes, songs, fingerplays, and social/play time.
Toddler Storytime is for kids from 18-35 months and their caregivers. No registration required! Everyone will enjoy books, flannel board stories, fingerplays, movement and music on Monday mornings from 10:30-11:00am.
Preschool Storytime is for 3-5 year olds and their caregivers. No registration is needed. There will be books, flannel board stories, songs, fingerplays, movement, and crafts on Wednesday mornings from 10:30-11:15am.
Junior Writers Group is for ages 8-12. This group meets the second and last Thursday of the month from 3:30-4:50. No registration is needed. Children are encouraged to brainstorm on a given theme, write and perhaps illustrate a short story, and share it with the group.
Anime Club. Join us on Friday evenings from 5-7 to experience anime both old school and contemporary. Currently watching The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
Casuals Wielding Dice: Join Dave Crowell Wednesdays from 2:30pm to 5pm on Wednesdays for epic adventures through a variety of different tabletop games!
Chess Club: meets on Mondays from 5-7. Chess club also meets at Gamer Craze on Saturdays from 1-3. All skill levels welcome.
Game Club now runs on Mondays from 3-5pm. Stop in at the library and try your hand at any of our multitude of games!
Nerd Club is once again being held at Canton High School! If you know a high school student who might be interested, direct them to the library conference room on Tuesdays from 2:30-3:20.
Hours: Canton Free Library (phone: 315 386 3712) is open Monday 9:30am - 8pm, Tuesday 9:30am - 5pm, Wednesday 9:30am - 8pm, Thursday 9:30am -5pm, Friday 9:30am -5pm, and Saturdays from 10am -3pm. Please note that the book drop remains open 24/7 for returns. Rensselaer Falls Branch Library (phone: 315 344 7406) is open Monday 4pm-6pm, and Wednesday and Friday from 3pm -6pm. Morley Branch Library (phone: 315 379 0066) is open Tuesdays & Thursdays from 1pm - 4pm.
For more CFL news, “like” the library page on Facebook. Find new additions to our collection on our website: cantonfreelibrary.org. To renew your current checkouts, login to ncls.org; you may also renew via email at email@example.com, or by calling (315) 386-3712.
May you find an Arthur you’ll like @ your library!