@ Your Library
By Beverly Ewart
It’s National Motorcycle Week!
Dad was the “cool” teacher at the high school; he was a scuba instructor by night and rode to work on his motorcycle by day. On the days that I rode with him to school it didn’t matter that I was last-picked for sports and considered nerdy; that motorcycle earned me some cool-points among my peers.
Better than elevated esteem at school, however, were our weekend road trips on dad’s bike, exploring the countryside and experiencing freedom!
Celebrate the spirit of freedom that a motorcycle on the open road evokes by checking out some of these titles:
- Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values by Robert M. Pirsig. Acclaimed as one of the most exciting books in the history of American letters, this modern epic became an instant bestseller upon publication in 1974, transforming a generation and continuing to inspire millions. (A NF)
- The Motorcycle Diaries: Notes on a Latin American Journey by Ernesto Che Guevara. Biography of Ernesto Che Guevara The Motorcycle Diaries: So we understand each other. Forewarnings. Discovery of the ocean. Lovesick pause. Until the last tie is broken. For the flu, bed. San Martín de los Andes. Circular exploration. Dear Mama. On the Seven Lakes Road. And now, I feel my great roots unearth, free and-- Objects of curiosity. The experts. The difficulties intensify. La Poderosa II's final tour. Firefighters, workers and other matters. La Gioconda's smile. Stowaways. This time, disaster. Chuquicamata. Arid land for miles and miles. The end of Chile. Chile, a vision from afar. Tarata, the new world. In the dominions of Pachamama. Lake of the sun. Toward the navel of the world. The navel. The land of the Incas. Our Lord of the Earthquakes. Homeland for the victor. Cuzco straight. Huambo. Ever northward. Through the center of Peru. Shattered hopes. The city of the viceroys. Down the Ucayali. Dear Papi. The San Pablo leper colony. Saint Guevara's day. Debut for the little Kontiki. Dear Mama. On the road to Caracas. This strange 20th century. A note in the margin. Appendix. A child of my environment (Speech to medical students, 1960). (A NF)
- Adventure Motorcycle Maintenance Manual: The Essential Manual to the Skills Needed to Maintain and Prepare a Modern Adventure Motorcycle by Greg Baker. This book is the definitive guide to keeping an adventure motorcycle running in the way it should. Written for the rider who wants to be self-reliant while on the road, the book takes the reader through a series of practical, hands-on techniques designed to keep the bike in peak riding condition. In the classic Haynes style, the book uses picture-led chapters and clear step-by-step instructions to demonstrate the skills needed for basic maintenance both at home and on the trail. (A NF)
- American Motorcycle Classics by Doug Mitchel and the auto editors of Consumer Guide. A nostalgic trip through the history of motorcycles, those fascinating pieces of Americana. (A NF)
- Once Upon a Cool Motorcycle Dude by Kevin O'Malley. Cooperatively writing a fairy tale for school, a girl imagines a beautiful princess whose beloved ponies are being stolen by a giant, and a boy conjures up the muscular biker who will guard the last pony in exchange for gold. (J)
The Great American Read: We’re following the national hunt for America’s Best Loved Novel through the PBS television series The Great American Read. You can cast your vote for your favorite book online or via text. A list of the 100 books included is currently in the library. Look for the shelf tags as you travel throughout our stacks. For more information visit: https://www.pbs.org/the-great-american-read/home/
Fundamentals of Drawing with instructor Bill Newman will be held on Thursdays in August from 6pm-8:30pm. For a list of what to bring and to register contact Bill directly at 315-386-2058.
We are on break after a busy summer program. Baby Storytime, Toddler Storytime, Preschool Storytime, Junior Writers Group, Books and Beyond, and Tween Time will resume the week after school starts in September! Enjoy the rest of your summer!
Anime Club - Join us on Friday evenings from 5-7 to experience anime both old school and contemporary. Currently watching My Hero Academia.
Chess Club - Join Tim Nolan from 5-7 pm on Mondays at Canton Free Library as he hosts the chess club from June 4th to August 20th. First time players or Grandmasters - all are welcome!
Game Club Board games! Video games! Stop in Wednesdays from 3-5 to try your hand at any of the games owned by the Canton Free Library.
Clash of the Readers is coming back! The booklist includes Caraval by Stephanie Garber, Empress of a Thousand Skies by Rhoda Belleza, The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas, and The 57 Bus by Dashka Slater. Registration began on August 13; the competition is scheduled to take place on November 17.
Harry Potter Week begins August 20th! Join us for daily movie screenings and bring glory to your house in the trivia contest on the last day!
Hours: Canton Free Library (phone: 315 386 3712) is open Monday 9:30am - 8pm, Tuesday 9:30am - 5pm, Wednesday 9:30am - 8pm, Thursday 9:30am -5pm, Friday 9:30am -5pm, and Saturdays from 10am -3pm. Please note that the book drop remains open 24/7 for returns. Rensselaer Falls Branch Library (phone: 315 344 7406) is open Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 3pm -6pm. Morley Branch Library (phone: 315 379 0066) is open Tuesdays & Thursdays from 1pm - 6pm for the summer. Please call the branch libraries before visiting, to be sure that they are open; hours may vary a bit due to unforeseen circumstances.
For more CFL news, “like” the library page on Facebook. Find new additions to our collection on our website: cantonfreelibrary.org. To renew your current checkouts, login to ncls.org; you may also renew via email at email@example.com, or by calling (315) 386-3712.
Enjoy freedom @ your library!